This policy applies to your use of the DIRECTV app, provided by DIRECTV (“we”). The app is an extension of your DIRECTV satellite subscription and can be accessed through any device connected to the internet. This Policy also applies to data about your home television viewing that we collect from your DIRECTV set-top box (“set-top-box”).
By agreeing when you download and/or use this app, you agree to the following collection and uses of data, on each device on which your account is used, and to the End User License Agreement. You are responsible for making sure all users of this app on your account agree to this Policy. It is important that you share this Policy with all account users and communicate the account holder’s choices to them.
When and what information is collected?
We collect information about you from:
- Your use of the app on any device. This includes things like:
- what videos, stations, or programs you watch and when
- where you’re located
- how you use the app
- Your DIRECTV set-top box, if you have not revoked your consent for use of your DIRECTV set-top box data for advertising and sharing with third parties. Please see the section below titled What choices and controls do I have over the use of my data?
- Your account. This includes things like:
- information you provide us through the registration process
- log-in credentials
- email address
- billing address
- demographic information (e.g., through registration)
- subscription plans for AT&T and/or DIRECTV accounts linked to the app
- The devices on which you use the app. This includes things like:
- device type and operating system
- connection type
- mobile number and IP address
- unique identifiers associated with the devices
- Third parties, including things like:
- demographic and other data from publicly available sources.
A note about Do Not Track - We don’t respond to “do not track” signals. For more information on Do Not Track, please visit www.allaboutdnt.com.
How might we use your information?
- We may use the information we collect through your use of this app to provide and improve the service; to tailor your experience including things like providing you with local stations; to make recommendations; to help fulfill advertising and marketing offers, provide or improve service, conduct analytics; and to help us and third parties serve you with advertisements or marketing materials in and outside the app. For more information on how your information is used for marketing purposes, see the sections below titled Do we share your information and, if so, with whom? and What is Enhanced Relevant Advertising and how might we use your information in the Enhanced Relevant Advertising program?
- In addition, we use location information (“Your Location Information”), for example, to provide access to local programming. Without Your Location Information, we may not be able to provide access to certain services and features, including live local channels or other content with geographic restrictions. If you disable location tracking on your device, you acknowledge and agree this app may determine your location, such as using your public IP address, to determine your general location for purposes of delivering services, such as the channel guide.
- We may combine and use viewing data collected from your DIRECTV set-top box with other data, as described in this policy.
Do we share your information and, if so, with whom?
- By downloading and/or using this app, you grant us consent and agree to let us share your viewing information and other information collected from your device as described in this policy. Your consent also authorizes us to combine and use viewing data collected from your DIRECTV set-top box.
- We may combine information from the app with DIRECTV set-top box information and share such combined information with other companies within the AT&T family of companies and vendors to help fulfill marketing offers, provide or improve service, conduct analytics, and serve you with advertisements or marketing materials in and outside the app.
- We also may share with third parties your specific interests (e.g., “interested in Game of Thrones”) and other information collected about you as described in this Policy. We determine your specific interests based on information collected through the app and your DIRECTV set-top box, as described in this policy. When we share information, we use identifiers such as device or operating system identifiers. This could include but is not limited to your Apple or Android advertising ID, (which are commonly used by many other apps for their own advertising purposes.)
- We share this information to help fulfill marketing offers, provide or improve service, conduct analytics; and to help us and third parties serve you with advertisements or marketing materials in and outside the app.
- When we say “third parties,” we mean advertisers, content providers (companies that create or distribute video programming or content), social media networks, analytics firms (companies that measure and analyze consumer behavior in the app, including what users watch) and ad networks (companies that deliver and track ads for multiple advertisers across numerous websites).
- To see choices and controls about the use and sharing of your information, see the section below titled What choices and controls do I have over the use of my data?
- Your information may be used in aggregate and anonymous reports that won’t identify you personally, such as a report on how many people watched a certain television show or reports we may sell to other companies for their own marketing, advertising or other similar uses.
- We may also share information to:
- Respond to 911 requests and other emergencies or exigencies;
- Comply with court orders and other legal process;
- Assist with identity verification, and prevent fraud and identity theft;
- Enforce our agreements and protect our rights or property; and
- Obtain payment for products and services including the transfer or sale of delinquent accounts to third parties for collection.
- We are required to notify you about the special requirements we must follow when it comes to sharing your personally identifiable viewing information in response to a court order:
- In the case of a court order obtained by a non-governmental entity, we are authorized to disclose personally identifiable information collected from subscribers as a result of the subscriber's use of services only after providing prior notice to the subscriber.
- In the case of a court order obtained by a governmental entity, we are authorized to disclose personally identifiable information collected from subscribers as a result of the subscriber's use of service only if, in the court proceeding relevant to the order:
- The governmental entity offers clear and convincing evidence that the subject of the information is reasonably suspected of engaging in criminal activity and that the information sought would be material evidence in the case; and
- The subject of the information has an opportunity to appear and contest the governmental entity's claim; and
- We have provided notice to the subscriber as required by applicable state law.
- We also may disclose personally identifiable information to a government entity pursuant to valid requests under the Electronic Communications Privacy Act and related statutes, except that such disclosure may not include records revealing a users’ selection of video programming.
What is Enhanced Relevant Advertising and how might we use your information in the Enhanced Relevant Advertising program?
- Enhanced Relevant Advertising is an advertising program that tailors ads to your interests by sharing and combining data with third parties as described above in Do we share your information and, if so, with whom?.
- As part of the Enhanced Relevant Advertising program, data may be collected from this app and from your DIRECTV set-top box and may be disclosed (using identifiers such as device or operating system identifiers) to third parties consistent with the description above in Do we share your information and, if so, with whom?
What safeguards do you have in place to protect my information?
- We work hard to protect your information. And we've established electronic and administrative safeguards designed to help make the information we collect secure.
- In the event of a security breach, laws and regulations guide us in how to give you notification when certain types of sensitive information are involved. We will provide you with notice in accordance with these laws and regulations.
Do you collect information about my children's use?We do not knowingly collect personally identifying information from anyone under the age of 13 unless we first obtain permission from the child's parent or legal guardian
What choices and controls do I have over the use of my data?
- You have some choices and controls over how your data is collected and used when you use this app.
- You can revoke consent for AT&T to collect and share your future app viewing information and other app information at any time, by un-installing the app.
- You can choose not to receive some types of advertising through this app.
- Opt-out of Online Behavioral Advertising provided by AT&T and other advertisers on your computer by clicking the "Advertising Choices" link at the bottom of our web pages.
- Opt-out of online behavioral advertising from many other ad networks at the Network Advertising Initiative (NAI) site.
- When you see online ads for AT&T products and services that display this icon , click and you will get information on how to opt-out.
- To limit collection of data on web sites that may be used for advertising, go here for information on how to manage cookies and other similar technologies on your computer.
What happens if there is a change in corporate ownership or to this policy?
- Information about our customers and users, including personally identifiable information, may be shared and transferred as part of any merger, acquisition, sale of company assets or transition of service to another provider. This also applies in the unlikely event of an insolvency, bankruptcy or receivership in which customer and user records would be transferred to another entity as a result of such a proceeding.
Your California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 entitles California customers to request information concerning whether a business has disclosed personal information to any third parties for their direct marketing purposes. As stated in this policy, by using our app you agree to the sharing of your information with other companies to use for their own marketing purposes. If you don’t want us to share with third parties your information collected through our app you must uninstall the app from your device and stop using it.
Your Additional Rights