If the buttons on your remote are not responding, try resetting the receiver and remote control. Reset a receiver
- On most DIRECTV receivers, there is a red button on the side of the receiver or inside the access card door.
- Press and hold the red button until the receiver restarts.
Are you unable to locate the red button? Unplug the receiver's power cord from the electrical outlet. Wait 15 seconds before plugging it back in.Reset a remote control
If restarting your receiver didn’t help, try resetting the remote control:
- Press MENU on the remote.
- Arrow down to Settings and press SELECT.
- Go to Remote Control and press SELECT.
- Select Pair/Program Remote. Depending on your setup, this may be automatic, or you may have to enter codes into your remote. Use the code lookup tool to find the 5-digit code.
If that didn't help, try resetting the remote to its default factory settings:
- Press and hold MUTE and SELECT together until the light flashes three times.
- Press 9, 8, 1 and SELECT. The remote flashes four times and should now reset.