- MENU brings you to the DIRECTV home screen, where you can browse programs, get recommendations, manage your recordings, access extra features, review system settings, and more.
- GUIDE displays the channel guide. Use the fast-forward or rewind buttons, located next to play, to jump ahead or go back as far as 12 hours.
- Dash (-) takes you into the search experience along with more guide options. Here, you can sort programs by category, jump to a date and time, change your favorites list, and access Pay Per View.
- R makes it easy to record a program. Press it twice to record an entire series.
- LIST displays your recorded programs. Press the red circle button to delete a program.
- INFO brings up the program description. Select INFO while watching live TV, scroll right, and select PIP to turn on Picture in Picture.
- ENTER shows you a mini-guide while viewing your program. Press and hold ENTER for three seconds to cycle through the equipment connected to your TV.
Menu navigation on Genie HR34 receivers varies slightly.