- MENU brings you to the DIRECTV home screen, where you can browse programs, get recommendations, manage your recordings, access extra features, review system settings, and more.
- GUIDE displays the channel guide. Use the fast-forward or rewind buttons, located next to play, to jump ahead or go back as far as 12 hours.
- Dash (-) takes you into the search experience along with more guide options. Here, you can sort programs by category, jump to a date and time, change your favorites list, and access Pay Per View.
- R makes it easy to record a program. Press it twice to record an entire series.
- LIST displays your recorded programs. Press the red circle button to delete a program.
- INFO brings up the program description. Select INFO while watching live TV, scroll right, and select PIP to turn on Picture in Picture.
- ENTER shows you a mini-guide while viewing your program. You can also press and hold ENTER for three seconds to cycle through the equipment connected to your TV.
Menu navigation on Genie HR34 receivers varies slightly.